Millie West, Director of Special Projects
- - Updated 7/1/2010 -
An integral part of William and Mary athletics for 50 years, Millie West began another chapter of her affiliation with the College in 1991 when she retired as Associate Athletics Director and assumed the role of Director of Special Projects. In the spring of 2010, the Tribe tennis complex on Brooks Street was named in her honor as the Millie West Tennis Facility.
A highly successful fund raiser, she has been a key in the success of the four BASF Wightman Cup tennis tournaments held at the College, as well as the annual Plumeri Pro-Am golf tournament, which has reaped great benefits for the College. West coordinated W&Mís Indoor Tennis Center Project, which brought the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center on campus. She is also the curator, and 1998 inductee, of the ITA Womenís Tennis Hall of Fame at the Center.
A 1957 graduate of Georgia College, West, who was awarded the USTA Educational Merit Award, is also a member of the W&M Athletic Hall of Fame and has been given the status of Honorary Alumni at William and Mary. She also has served on executive committees for the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame and Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
Currently West serves on the Williamsburg Community Foundation Board and the Old Point National Bank Advisory Board.